Home > Adventures with my Laser Cutter, KayLand > Details of 7MSN Scherenschnitte

Details of 7MSN Scherenschnitte

(Following on from yesterday’s post, here is more info about my “7MSN Scherenschnitte” project)

To create the images, first of all I had to select a picture that I liked, and then  hand-trace the outlines. (I wish I had software that automatically created silhouettes! On the other hand, that would feel like cheating.)

k20121212 outline of 7msn image - compressed

(Here is the original: http://www.the7msnranch.com/2011/08/one-piece-at-time.html)

Then I filled the outlines with black just to see what they would look like when they were finished:

k20121212 outline of steve the turtle(This is of Steve the Turtle)

Then I juggled the pieces around until they started to look OK:

First draft of 7MSN

First draft of 7MSN

Things from the blog to look out for in the papercutting:

Willie, Honey Bunny, Rooster ornament

Willie, Honey Bunny, Rooster ornament

Chickens eating birds and mice

Chickens eating birds and mice

Coyote fence, skulls, mouse

Coyote fence, skulls, mouse

(I sneaked the alien skull in, because on the 7MSN front page it looks like Alan’s nose has got an evil skull painted on it):

Alan's alien nose

Alan’s alien nose

Hank, Wynonna, chicken eating tarantula

Hank, Wynonna, chicken eating tarantula

Alan, heron, swift

Alan, heron, swallow

Lucy

Lucy

Smooch, Linda/Carson, George, Deets

Smooch, Linda/Carson, George, Deets

Lyle, Steve the turtle

Lyle, Steve the turtle

7MSN gate

7MSN gate

and the suspicious-looking ‘Art Nouveau branches’…

"Art nouveau branch"

“Art Nouveau branch”

1. February 20, 2013 at 10:16

Hi all – thanks again for your lovely comments, If you would like to peruse my Etsy store there are some copies now available: http://www.etsy.com/shop/polymerKay

(If you don’t like the price, please feel free to send me a message. I am happy to haggle!

2. February 13, 2013 at 00:36

Wow!

3. Ingrid
    February 12, 2013 at 21:49

As yet another 7MSN “addict” I just have to tell you how much I admire your talent and this gorgeous, lovely piece of art. It is so very beautifully done, and very touching because it shows not only your great artist’s eye but also a lot of heart. You obviously read the 7MSN blog in a similar way I did after I stumbled upon it: read a couple of posts, then read “About”, then, “officially hooked”, went to the very beginning and never stopped until I had caught up. The piece you created, in its beauty and perfection and completeness (up to ‘Art Nouveau branches’, just wonderful!), moved and captivated my heart at first sight just like Linda Carson did with her herd and blog.
    I shall be back to enjoy more of your work – and in the hope of acquiring a copy of your 7MSN Scherenschnitt!
    Best wishes and much success to you always,
    Ingrid

4. February 12, 2013 at 17:50

Came by way of 7MSN and I have to agree with yoginidiver. I was drawn to tears when I saw this beauty and thought I have to have one. Funny how we can get emotionally attached to people and animals we only read about.

5. February 12, 2013 at 15:33

Miss Kay: As Linda’s sister, and an avid reader of her blog, I was absolutely stunned, amazed, delighted, and emotionally touched by this project, your loving tribute to The 7MSN Ranch. I’d be willing to bet that many other 7MSN readers will also be similarly moved. Trust me on this — figure out how to mass produce this Scherenschnitte, and you could sell lots of them! THANKS for your beautiful work on this project.

• February 12, 2013 at 15:42

Thank you so much! I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent laughing (and sometimes crying) reading the 7MSN blog.

As it happens, I created the piece with the help of my laser cutter, so in theory I could indeed create several limited-edition versions of it.

• yoginidiver
        February 12, 2013 at 16:16

THANKS, Kay! I have just forwarded your response to my posting to my sister, Linda, at 7MSN.

Hmmmmmmm … I think you might want to make sure that laser cutter is sharpened.

Priced “reasonably”, you might be able to make a few pounds! Kathleen (Linda’s sister)

6. January 9, 2013 at 09:55

yr a dark horse! What a busy lady. And what beautiful laser cut designs!
    love to have some of the christmas trees for next year
    love,