Archive

Posts Tagged ‘polyclay’

Flowering Flower-ring

In the last month or so, I’ve had a step-by-step article published in “Making Jewellery” magazine, which involved a flower ring…

Image

…and also included a couple of ‘bonus’ earrings:

Image

and they also included a picture of a purple ring as well:

Image

Here is a scan of the cover of the magazine:

Image

… and here is an idea of what the first page of the article looked like:

polymer clay flower ring

Somehow they seem to make the pieces look better than in real life!

100 Days of Polymer Clay Necklaces: “92”

92 days to go until the polymer clay cruise. I booked my flights today!!

I never really seem to get good results when I try to make kaleidoscope canes, so today I thought I’d work on the technique for a while, to see if I could get the hang of them. Gaaaah – other people make it seem so easy. They seem to just put a group of random cane-ends together and wow, a fantastic cane emerges. I realise now of course that their canes are far from random, and are deliberately designed to fit in with each other. The artists are no doubt able to visualise the end product, whereas I am just surprised (and usually disappointed!) when I cut into my own canes.

So today was about learning the hard way how to create kaleidoscope canes. First I tried a combination of petal canes and leaf canes (click into photo for a closer view):

kaleidoscope cane experiments

I thought that one was OK, but it lost the details of some of the canes when it was reduced. So I tried another one, but the two original petals were different sizes so that obviously got repeated around the pattern when I ‘mirrored’ the sections:

kaleidoscope cane experiments

Then I tried just mirroring a normal cane:

kaleidoscope cane experiments

Which didn’t do much for me (except that I like the chevron bits in the centre and edges of the square). Then I resorted to reading my joint-favourite polymer clay book (Judy Belcher’s “Polymer Clay Traditions”) which sent me closer to the right track, because I chose just a few simple canes which only used a few colours (click into photo for a closer look)…

kaleidoscope cane experiments

…and finally I made a kaledoscope cane that included flowers and leaves:

kaleidoscope experiments

As always it still needs some more work before I really get to understand the technique, but this is closer to what I was originally aiming for.

I hadn’t made anything that I would have been happy to put on a necklace, so I thought I would have a change of technique and would try to revisit the mica-shift technique that I have been working on over the last couple of weeks. And at last it has worked! I made a mica-shift pendant that retained all of the detail:

mica shift pendant - 2nd attempt

Here is the original pendant from day ’96’ compared to the new version. You can see that a lot of the detail of the design has disappeared on the original (photo on the left), and that I have managed to keep it in the new version:

mica shift experiment mica shift pendant - 2nd attempt

100 Days of Polymer Clay Necklaces: “93”

93 days to go until the polymer clay cruise…

Today I enjoyed Polymer Clay Daily’s info about Barbara Fajardo’s work, which encouraged me to put more texture onto my flowers than I usually do (click into images for a more detailed view):

orange flowers with texture purple flowers with texture

And then I made a necklace out of one of the flowers:

orange flower necklace orange flower necklace

The colours are a bit bright for my particular taste, but I like the overall tropical effect.

100 Days of Polymer Clay Necklaces: “94”

94 days to go until the polymer clay cruise, and here is the latest effort in my 100 days of polymer clay challenge

Today I’ve been making a few flower beads. For this necklace I have just hung a large bead from some chain, and have added some dangly things to add a bit of interesting movement when the necklace is being worn (click the photo for a closer look):

necklace "94"

100 Days of Polymer Clay Necklaces: “95”

95 days to go until the polymer clay cruise…

Today I went to a WI meeting and lots of people happened to be wearing necklaces. My friend Joy was wearing one made from round glass beads which were very simply ‘strung’ on links of wire. So when I came home I made some malachite-y beads and baked and varnished them, then turned them into a necklace:

100 Days of Polymer Clay Necklaces: “97”

97 days to go until the polymer clay cruise. Yeah!

Today’s necklace used the butterfly that I made the other day:

necklace "97" necklace "97"

It looks OK from a distance, but as I mentioned when I made it, its poor wings had cracks all over them. Varnishing didn’t help – it just made the cracks look worse! So my number 1 lesson from today is not to use substandard butterfly wings in my jewellery:

necklace "97"

My number 2 lesson is to try and find a different way of hanging pendants instead of just creating a loop of clay at the top of the back of the piece. It makes the piece top-heavy so it tilts forward all the time (I’ll try to put a picture here later to show what I mean…).

Combination of Mica Shift and Mokume Gane

Over the last couple of weeks I have made a few attempts at using Mica Shift techniques, but they have all gone a bit wrong. (Or a lot wrong.) But today I remembered that I went to one of Dan Cormier’s “Mokume Dan-eh” classes a few years ago, and that I still had my peeler tool. So I have gone from being extremely frustrated with my experiments to being mildly satisfied that they are now moving in the right direction.

I used one of Lisa Pavelka’s texture sheets, pressed down on a layered stack of thin sheets of colour (with a gold layer on the top of them):

mica shift experiment mica shift experiment

mica shift experiment mica shift experiment